Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Epilogue


THIS PLACE IS CURSED.

I am writing this in the hope that someone would uncover the truth. I don't have much time left. If you are reading this, I may have been killed. Who or what would do so, I am still unsure.

The inhabitants of this place may seem strange to Outsiders - they certainly have strange appearances, abilities, and seem to be non-human. But they allowed me to stay during the night. Gensokyo is lethal during the night.

If you can leave, get out. Don't stop at the nearby Human Village. Go on, as far as you can. Hope has no place in this Mansion, or anywhere near it.

I must stay and do what I can. Hopefully, I can delay the inevitable nightmare, at the very least. She saved my life. I must try to return the favor.

I have left some notes in this drawer as well. I hope they may be useful. I will write again if I have the chance.

~

After reading it a few more times, Remilia finally puts down the letter. She takes a sip of her tea as she gathers her thoughts. On the table are a few other items: a small black notebook, a small ballpoint pen, a digital watch, and several sheets of stationary paper. She quickly turns back to Patchouli.

"This is his writing," she says quietly. "And these things belong to him."

The magician takes a sip of tea before speaking.

"Koakuma surrendered these along with Grey's clothes from the Outside," says Patchouli.

"She had Grey's clothes?" asks Remilia.

Patchouli nods solemnly.

"Interesting," says Remilia. "That explains the connection between them."

"There is something else," says Patchouli. "Koakuma said that there was a third person in her dreams."

"A third person?" repeats Remilia.

The magician looks down upon the items on the table. Her eyes are focused on the watch.

"I understand," says Remilia. "He must still be alive."

"What do you want to do?" whispers the magician.

The vampire slowly puts down her teacup before looking up at the magician.

"I need some time to think," she says finally.

Patchouli gives a small nod before she heads for the door.

"..."

Remilia waits patiently until the magician leaves. Then, she takes something from inside her desk drawer. She examines the item for a few minutes before sighing to herself. The vampire stands up and looks out of her window. The lake seems so peaceful at this time of the day.

"He is still alive," whispers Remilia.

She holds the item close to her chest as a single tear rolls down her cheek. After a few moments of silence, she quickly wipes her face and returns to her desk. The vampire carefully puts down the item on the desk. She takes a few moments to stare at it thoughtfully.

Upon her table is a cracked pair of silver-rimmed glasses.

No comments: