Sunday, March 15, 2009


"This tea is quite good," says Remilia. "Earl Grey, isn't it?"

"I thought you might like it," says Grey.

The vampire girl takes a sip from her tea cup before putting it down.

"Yes, it is quite good," says Remilia. "You have quite a few useful talents, dont you?"

The vampire takes a long look at him before speaking again.

"I have no doubts now," she says finally. "Your arrival here was not a coincidence."

"You know why I'm here?" asks Grey.

"Not exactly," says Remilia. "But I see that you have an important role. Perhaps even larger than I first thought."

The vampire girl takes a biscuit and nibbles on it for a bit.

"That power of yours," she says. "At the Outside, it's the sort of thing that could change history. Such a power could only be found in legends."

Grey nods slowly. He can become a whole other person, if he wanted to.

"Isn't it a strange fact that legends always have ways of finding themselves in Gensokyo?"

"Eh?"

Remilia takes another sip of her tea before looking back at him.

"Well, let's forget about that for now," says the vampire girl. "First, we must conclude our business before day's end."

"Our business?" repeats Grey.

Remilia gives him a small nod before continuing.

"I had you stay here for my own selfish reasons," says the vampire girl. "I needed a catalyst to spark change. You were that catalyst."

She closes her eyes solemnly.

"We were lucky that this ended well somehow," says Remilia. "You could have been killed several times during the past few days. And it would have been my fault."

Grey pauses for a moment before speaking.

"Everything went fine," he manages. "We're all still alive, aren't we?"

Remilia opens her eyes and stares at him carefully. Then, she nods to herself.

"Yes, we are," she says. "And that's why I'm going to do something against my own nature right now."

She looks at him straight in the eye before speaking.

"From this point onward, you are free," she says. "You are no longer my Servant, and you are no longer bound to this Mansion. You are free to leave this place and discover your own destiny."

"I... don't understand," he manages. "Are you kicking me out?"

Remilia shakes her head. She pulls out something from her dress and places it on the table together with a pen. It takes Grey a few moments to recognize the object.

It looks like a contract.

"I won't deny that this Mansion is still in danger," says Remilia. "But I can't force you to stay here. Not anymore. I owe you at least this much. That is why I am giving you a choice."

Grey picks up the piece of paper and begins studying it. It seems to be discuss terms of employment.

"You can leave and find your own destiny," says Remilia. "I'm sure that you can find a way to recover your memories and return home. I can even provide a few leads for you to start with."

The vampire girl pauses for a moment.

"Or, you can stay here and work with us," whispers Remilia. "I'm sure that I'm not the only one who appreciates your presence here."

"..."

Grey pauses to think.
[ ] "My Fate is here."
[ ] "I have my own destiny."
[ ] Custom

No comments: