Monday, March 2, 2009


Loading User Commands:
[X] Go after Koakuma.

---

"W-why does it have to be this way?" cries Koakuma. "I only wanted to protect those I cared about. I-I never wanted to hurt anyone!"

"Koakuma," says Grey quietly.

"I only wanted a home," she whispers.

...

The little devil slowly looks up, finding a pair of purple eyes observing her closely. Standing in front of her with a book in her hands is a frail looking girl in a pink dress. Upon the stranger's head is a small cloth hat, and tied to her long lavender hair are several brightly colored ribbons.

"I shall be your Mistress from now on," says the girl. "You will be my familiar."

"M-Mistress?" repeats the little devil, still confused.

"Come and follow me," says the Mistress. "Nameless little devil."

...

"I only wanted to be useful," the little devil whispers.

...

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" cries the little devil.

Patchouli lies on the ground, still buried in a large pile of books. The little devil accidently knocked over a nearby bookcase and caused this little mishap. She quickly helps the anemic magician up to her feet.

"A-are you alright? Can I get you some medicine or bandages?" stammers the little devil.

The magician coughs violently before speaking.

"Third time this week," she says weakly. "Anyway, forget about it. Why don't you make yourself useful and get me a cup of tea?"

"O-of course, Mistress," whispers the little devil as she lowers her head in shame.

A few minutes later, the little devil returns to Patchouli's reading area with tea and biscuits. She carefully pours her Mistress a cup and places it beside her. For a few moments, Patchouli continues reading, completely ignoring her presence. Then, she takes the cup to her lips.

"Looks like you're only good for a cup of tea," says Patchouli.

The pink and purple magician carefully lowers the cup before turning to the little devil.

"It's delicious," she continues. "I'll leave this to you from now on, Koakuma."

"K-Koakuma?" repeats the little devil.

"That will be your name," says Patchouli. "The little devil of the library, Koakuma."

...

"I only wanted others to know my name," whispers Koakuma.

...

"Wait," says the stranger. "I believe that your Mistress is looking for a book. She seems to be searching the all over the library for it."

The little devil sighs deeply.

"I have been looking for that book for hours," says Koakuma. "It's really my fault. Mistress Patchouli's catalogue is flawless. I'm just no good at organizing things, since I'm clumsy and I often mix the books up."

She has been trying so hard, yet...

"I'm so useless..." whispers Koakuma to herself.

Suddenly, she begins to sob openly. The way she is acting is completely inappropriate, yet she can't stop weeping. No matter how much she tries, she is only a burden to Patchouli. A weak and useless burden.

"Excuse me, Miss," says the stranger.

He gives her a little smile before he continues.

"May I know your name?" he asks.

Koakuma stares at him disbelievingly. She opens her mouth to speak, but she can't find any words to say. Did she hear him correctly?

"E-er, you don't have to tell me if you don't want to," mutters the stranger sheepishly.

The little devil quickly wipes her last tears away.

"Y-you may call me Koakuma," she manages. She can't help but smile brightly as she says those words.

"Then, Miss Koakuma, why don't I help you look for that book?"

...

"I only wanted someone to hold me," whispers Koakuma.

...

"I-I'm sorry!" she stammers. "I-I didn't mean to startle you, I just -"

Without warning, Grey holds her close to his chest. Koakuma's eyes widen in surprise. She can feel the gentle warmth of his body. As he strokes her hair gently, she slowly closes her eyes. This feeling is familiar, somehow. She feels safe in his arms.

But this can't last. Not for a nameless little devil like her.

"You're alright!" he whispers. "I thought that -"

Without warning, she pushes him away from her. Grey slams the back of his head on a nearby bookcase.

"G-g-get away from me!" she shouts.

Because she doesn't deserve happiness.

...

"I've done terrible things," she says. "Unforgivable things..."

With the very cup of tea that she held, she had betrayed everyone. Even those she held closest to her heart.

"..."

After a few moments, the music stops. Koakuma stands herself up and dries her tears carefully before giving Grey one last smile.

"I'm sorry for everything," she says. "Please don't hate me."

"Eh? Koakuma?" mumbles Grey.

"Good bye." whispers the little devil.

No comments: