Tuesday, November 4, 2008



For a moment, the two men watch each other in silence.

Grey looks at the stranger. He is wearing a hooded traveller's cloak, and he is holding a long walking stick and a thick book. However, his other clothes are clearly of modern design. He must be an Outsider.

The man is frowning slightly, and his eyes betray a sense of suspicion. Maybe he didn't expect to find him in Keine's office?

"My name is Grey, are you here to see the Village Guardian?" Grey asks.

The man pauses before replying.

"Village Guardian?"

"Yes, I heard that Keine protects the Human Village from youkai attacks and other threats. She acts as a school teacher for the children during the rest of the time, if I'm not mistaken," he says.

"I see," the man says. "My name is Grimnír, and I just recently arrived here in the village."

"Pleased to meet you. If I could, I'd offer you a cup of tea," he says. He shifts his legs to more comfortable position.

Grimnír pauses and tightens his grip on his staff. Something seems to have agitated him. "Did I say something wrong?" Grey thinks as he maintains his smile. The last thing he needs is another misunderstanding.

"Perhaps you don't like tea? We can probably find a tavern somewhere if you like," he says. "We Outsiders should stick together. Gensokyo is a dangerous place, after all."

Grimnír smirks, but he hasn't loosened his grip on his staff. Grey didn't expect him to react that way. He needs to find a way to change the atmosphere before something stupid happens.

"So, why carry a gun when meeting a schoolteacher?" Grimnír asks.

"Self-defense," he answers. When did he notice the pistol under his coat? This man is perceptive.

The two men stare at each other in silence. Neither of them is smiling.

No comments: