Wednesday, October 22, 2008



"I like interesting things. Your stories are interesting. They make me laugh. Falling stars are interesting. I just go "kyu" and they go boom! Danmaku is interesting. I like the bright colors and sounds. Let's see what else..."

Flandre pauses.

"Sweet things are interesting. I like strawberries, manju, and visitors. They make me feel warm inside. Except for ice cream; it's cold, but I like that too. I don't like too many cold things, though. They give me a headache. Sometimes I can't remember, but cold things aren't good for me."

"Except for ice cream?" Grey asks.

Flandre smiles happily. "Yeah, I like ice cream!" she immediately replies.

"I like ice cream too." Grey says, smiling.

"Two? I guess I can have two ice creams, but big sister says it isn't good to eat too much. I hear you can die if you eat too much, but what does gambling or painting have to do with it? I tried painting before, but the brush broke and I was sad. I don't like being sad..."

Grey quickly interjects, "But you are happy now at dinner, right?"

Flandre quickly cheers up.

"Yep, I like being with big sister. I just don't like going out too much. Gets kinda confusing outside, and that's annoying. Big sister is definitely not annoying though. I like her very much!"

Remilia smiles gently as she hears this.

"Let's see, I also like playing with Sakuya and China. Patchy is fun too when she isn't giving me lectures. Lectures make me fall asleep, no matter how hard I try. I keep telling her that, but she just gives me books instead. Those make me sleepy too. But one time, Marisa came to visit and that was fun. We flew all around the house. She disappeared after a while, though. She didn't die, so that makes me happy."

Flandre takes a moment to consider Grey.

"I think I like you," she says smiling.

Grey chokes on his soup and coughs violently. Remilia just chuckles. Sakuya is looking away. Is she pitying him?

He stays silent and focuses on his meal. Flandre starts conversing with Remilia instead. They do seem to get along, but he feels some sort of awkwardness about it. Remilia seems a bit strained as she speaks, though she is clearly quite happy. He wonders if something happened in the past.

After the main course, the maids bring in the dessert.

"Strawberries and cream, as you like it." Remilia says.

"Thanks, big sister!"

Grey can't help but smile at Flandre's childlike innocence. Remilia has a surprising sisterly side about her, as well. They both have their own qualities, but together like this, he can't help but watch it in awe.

No comments: